Here and everywhere, enjoy a safer holiday by following these simple tips
- Decide your destination in advance and make a planned route of travel.
- Always be alert and aware of your surroundings.
- If your car is bumped from behind, do not stop on the roadway or along the roadside. Drive to the nearest public area and call to 911 in search of police assistance.
- If someone suspicious approaches your vehicle while you stop at a traffic light or sign, sound the car horn.
- Do not pull over for flashing headlights. A police vehicle and an authorized emergency vehicle are the only ones authorized the display of flashing, rotating red or blue lights.
- If you become lost, try to find a public place, like a service station, in order to read your map or ask for directions.
- If you are told that something is wrong with your vehicle, do not stop immediately. Drive to the nearest service station or to another well lighted public area.
- Keep doors locked and windows shut up when driving, and mainly when the vehicle is parked.
- Goods and valuables should be kept in the trunk, locked glove compartment, or out of sight, whenever traveling or before leaving the vehicle parked.
- Always park in well-lit areas.
- Check the interior of your vehicle and surrounding areas before getting into your vehicle.
- Do not pick up hitchhikers.
- If using an automatic cashier, be sure the area is well lit. Count your money inside your vehicle with the windows shut down.
- Do not leave the keys in your vehicle or your car engine running when using an automatic cashier or public telephone.
- If you suspect that you are being followed, head immediately to the nearest well lit public area and call the police.
- If you must carry a purse or bag, hold it in front of you close to your body. Be sure it is securely closed.
- When encountering a threatening, hostile individual, do not put up any resistance. If all that person wants is your belongings, give them up, they are not worth your life or any serious injury. In case of emergency call 911 from any telephone.
- Pay airport taxes only at authorized places.
- Taxes are $ 26 per person.